What is a campus climate survey?
A campus climate survey is a tool used to assess campus culture. It provides a space for members of the campus community to voice opinions and concerns related to their experiences of diversity, equity, and inclusion on campus. As an institution, it allows us to identify strengths, weaknesses, and establish baselines by which to measure progress.
What exactly is this campus climate survey going to ask about?
The HEDS Diversity and Equity Campus Climate Survey will asks UNC Asheville students, faculty, staff, and administrators about their perceptions of the institution’s climate, how the campus supports diversity and equity, as well as their experiences with discrimination and harassment.
How long will the survey take to complete?
The survey usually takes less than 15 minutes to complete.
Why are we doing this survey?
It is vital to our ongoing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts that we undergo a comprehensive campus climate survey. This institution-wide study is aimed at helping the University better understand the experiences of both students and employees. In addition, the 2020 UNC System Racial Equity Task Force final report recommended the administration of a campus climate survey on each UNC System campus.
How will this information be used?
We hope to use information from this survey to better inform and improve support, policies, and practices related to diversity and equity.
To be more specific:
- The Office of Institutional Equity and Office of Institutional Research, Effectiveness & Planning, will share the results of this survey with stakeholders from across the campus community once it has been received from the survey administrator.
- Over the course of the next year, we will host focus groups, solicit feedback, and identify grassroots strategies for addressing opportunity areas.
- Survey feedback, in conjunction with other data, will be used to identify gaps in current policies as well as guide updates to future iterations of the campus’ Racial Justice Roadmap.
- The results of this years’ survey will provide a baseline by which to re-establish campus wide goals and measure progress.
Haven’t we done one of these surveys before?
Although previous surveys have asked a few questions related to diversity and inclusion, this is the first time we are asking all students and employees the same set of base questions related to overall campus climate.
What is HEDS and why are we using them?
HEDS is the Higher Education Data Sharing Consortium. It’s an organization of colleges and universities committed to sharing data, knowledge, and expertise to advance undergraduate liberal arts education, inclusive excellence, and student success.
Why are we using a third-party vendor?
In addition to the anonymity concerns referenced above, utilizing the services of a third-party vendor allows us to use a valid and reliable instrument with which to compare our results with that of other institutions.
Is this survey anonymous?
Because we want to make every effort possible to create an environment where people feel empowered to provide open and honest feedback, we have decided to use an outside third-party vendor (HEDS) to administer our campus climate survey. Although the survey asks many demographic questions to better understand the scope of diversity at our institution, the responses are anonymous. HEDS will exclude all personal information, including name, email address, student/employee identification number, and IP address, from the data UNC Asheville receives.
How will I receive a prize if the survey is anonymous?
Prizes will only be offered to participants who wish to be entered into the drawing and that list is not connected to individual survey responses.
Campus Climate Incentives
To show our appreciation for your time and input, we are providing the opportunity for all survey participants to be entered into a drawing to win some exciting prizes!
We will randomly draw the names of winners once a week, so the earlier you complete the survey the more opportunities you have to win!
This list is subject to change but we’ve included a few of the incredible items up for grabs:
- Free 2023/2024 AY Parking Permit (Please note that the parking pass is for next academic year.) : 1 staff, 1 faculty, 1 resident, 1 non-resident
- UNC Asheville Swag Bag
- $50 Declining Balance from Chartwells
- $25 UNC Asheville Bookstore Gift Card
- $25 Gift Card to Takeout Central
- $25 Gift Card to the Hop Handcrafted Creamery
- $25 Gift Card to Asheville Bee Charmer
- $36 Gift Card to French Broad Chocolate
- $200 Professional Development Award
Incentives are sponsored by Highsmith Student Union, the Office of Parking & Transportation, Catering Services, the Office of Institutional Research, Effectiveness, & Planning, and the Office of Institutional Equity.
Looking for more information?
For more information, please email either Macanda Myers at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jenna Thomas at email@example.com.
This survey will be open to all UNC Asheville students, faculty and staff, from October 7, 2022-October 28, 2022.